Monday, October 15, 2012

Malala Yousafzai

In connection to our study of the novel, The Breadwinner, today we discussed the recent attack on 14-year-old activist Malala Yousafzai in Pakistan.  Here is a message and link from Amnesty International:


"The bravest Pakistani schoolgirl of them all!

You can send a special message of support to Malala here: http://bit.ly/TTTXM9

Today, on the first ever International Day of the Girl, we want to highlight Malala Yousafzai, also known as “the girl on the schoolbus”. She was brutally targeted by the Tehreek-e-Taliban as she had spoken out for the right for girls to receive an education. 


As she was on her way to school, a gunman opened fire on her bus, deliberately targeting Malala. In spite of being shot in the head, she survived the attack. 

As the world now watches the slow progress of a young girl who was brave enough to refuse to bow to the sinister threats of the Taliban, hundreds of thousands of schoolgirls in Pakistan watch in thrall as their future and their desires to go to school stand in the balance. Malala’s words can give them strength:

“I have rights. I have the right of education. I have the right to play. I have the right to sing. I have the right to talk. I have the right to go to market. I have the right to speak up.”

What an inspiration."



1 comment:

  1. What a kind,beautiful girl I think that she should have the right to do anything she wants!!!!! Poor Malala got shot in the head by a taliban soilder...Luckily shes alive shes so brave wishing you all my luck malala Sincery-Jenna

    ReplyDelete