Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Gratitude Experiment

With Thanksgiving approaching, we have been discussing the importance of gratitude in our everyday life.  Our quote of the week was: 

"It is not happiness that makes us grateful, but gratefulness that makes us happy".


We have also considered that  often a grumbling or complaining spirit gets in the way of being a thankful person.  We decided to try out a simple little experiment in gratitude this week.  Students were given elastic bands to wear as bracelets. Each time they audibly complained, they were to switch the band to the opposite wrist- the intent being to raise  awareness about our grumbling habits!  So....onto the homework assignment!

I am curious to hear reflections on your 48 hour (or more!!) bracelet experiment.   Here are some questions to guide you along the way:

  • Was it easy or difficult to keep your bracelet on one arm? Why?
  • What did you find yourself complaining about most often? 
  • Did anything surprise you about this experience?
  • What did you learn about your attitude?  Reflect!

Your response should be a minimum of 3-5 sentences long.  Just click on "comments" below to get started!  Don't forget to include your name at the end of your response.

13 comments:

  1. hi this is amel i had to switch my braclet about 28 times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a little hard because sometimes,I complained countinuosly.I mostly complained about homework.I had homework for school and piano.I was surprised by how much I actually complain daily.I learned I should do things and finish things with less complaining.

    -Geoffrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was quite difficult to keep the elastic band on one arm because its quite hard to not complain.I found out that I was complaining alot about how hard something was or why I had to do something.I was surprised how much I cought myself complaining and I was also surprised how hard it is to not complain. I learned I complain alot and that I should learn not to comlain so much.

    - Karlee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wore my bracelet for 4 days. The first day I switched it a few times. I switched it less as more days passed. I was surprised that I complained 10 times in 4 days. I thought I would complain less. I thought I would only complain maybe once a day. I learned that I could be a little more grateful.

    -Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wore my bracelet for 3 days. And I switched it a few times. But I thought I would complain more. It was a cool experiment.





    -Noah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thought I would complain way more than I did. We have a gratitude practise at home so it was easy for me. I know how being grateful can help me to not be negative.
    Tanner M.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found it quite hard to keep it on one arm, I always had something to complain about! I switched it about 30 times! I was either complaining about the weather or how busy I was after school. Some of my friends only switched it 4 times, I was surprised of how much of a complainer I am.


    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  8. its fun and hard. I was thinking about every word i said. I had so many things i can complain about. You should try it!






    jake

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought this was very fun, I got up to 9 complaints


    - Ana Milanovski

    ReplyDelete
  10. I most complained about the weather and my sister bugging me. It was very fun, I only had 12 complaints


    -Jae-Lyn Maletta

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow I switched that thing a lot. I never noticed how much i complained until we did this. I lost track of count after I hit 20. I need to work on not complaining so much!

    -Davis

    ReplyDelete
  12. I feel bad for all the times I complain when i don't get hotdogs for super. It was nice to learn that we all complain we just don't notice it. Compared to people living in camps with dirt houses and no hotdogs I feel bad for them and the amount I complain compared to them. Am sure they would not complain as much as me! It is nice to see that people have problems that they just need to complain about. Overall all it was really fun to do. Near the end of wearing the band I started to want to take it off and just take a break. the last days of wearing the band where hard I had to think about everything I say to anyone.


    -Kale

    ReplyDelete
  13. i loved using the elastic band it really taught me a lesson on how much i complain


    -Jenna

    ReplyDelete